4th Floor, Building 7
18 Gongping Road
P. R. China
Office Telephone: +86 21 2080 1000
Office Fax: +86 21 2080 1177
Direct Dial (Shanghai): +86 21 2080 1068
Talk to Gordon about
More about Gordon
Gordon is a Senior Associate working at HFW's Shanghai office. He recently relocated from our Singapore office, where he was based since 2012. Prior to that, Gordon also spent several years in our Dubai office.
Gordon is Scottish qualified originally, and trained and practised in Aberdeen for a number of years where he acted primarily for companies involved in the North Sea oil and gas industry. In Dubai many of his clients had their origins in the UK oil and gas sector and a key element of his work was assisting them in establishing and developing their operations throughout the Middle East.
In his time working in Singapore, he has focused on advising companies across the shipping, energy and mining sectors throughout the Asia Pacific region. Within these sectors, Gordon has a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions and the sale and purchase of businesses and assets, joint ventures and foreign investment projects. Gordon also has experience advising shipowners and operators in relation to ship sale and purchase transactions and related ship finance, vessel and mortgage registration and discharge, joint ventures and operating agreements, and the structuring of the ownership of vessels within a fleet and in particular has acted for a number of Indonesian and Chinese state owned entities in relation to this. Gordon also acts for a number of international banks.
Gordon is also experienced in advising on trading contracts, in particular LNG sales contracts and all associated aspects relating to the sale and delivery of LNG, having spent time on secondment as legal counsel in the commercial department of a major LNG producer in the Russian Federation.
Gordon has been praised by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 as a 'well-regarded practitioner' and has been recommended by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 in the firm's Singapore Corporate and M&A rankings.
Recent work includes advising:
- Advising a US hedge fund on the acquisition of a minority shareholding, followed by the subsequent acquisition of the entire share capital of a Luxemburg entity holding ownership of a mining licence in Mongolia.
- Advising a Middle East bank in relation to the creation of a form of asset backed security which would be entered into with Singapore entities and would be legally enforceable as a Singapore security.
- Acting for a Singapore oil trading company in relation to the trading of oil contracts with an Iranian counterpart following the raising of applicable Iran sanctions.
- Advising a major international commodities producer in relation to a joint venture structure for the acquisition and operation of a fleet of vessels.
- Advising the founders of an investment company on the creation of an investment fund for the operation of a sports gaming business.
- Advising a major European bank in relation to the restructuring of its loan and security facilities with defaulting borrowers.
- Advising the Japanese holding company representing a joint venture alliance involving the integration of the business of the companies and the creation of an energy supply chain framework and fuel trading businesses.
- Advising on and drafting of the agreements for the transfer of the entire business of a Japanese electricity company relating to its coal supply management operations, logistics and Singapore trading activities and restructuring of its core business operations, involving assets consisting up to 20 million metric tonnes of coal.
Gordon is qualified in Scotland.