Lawyers handling complex international arbitration, litigation and ADR matters
Our principal strength is our experience and expertise in international litigation, arbitration and alternative forms of dispute resolution. We have specialist dispute resolution teams in all of our offices, regularly handling high-value, complex, multi-party, multi-jurisdictional disputes. Our expertise spans a wide range of sectors and industries, from banking and finance, through to insurance and commodities.
What we do in Dispute Resolution
We are market leaders in dispute resolution and are able to advise our clients on the full range of disputes they may encounter, such as in relation to:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Litigation
- Fraud & Asset Recovery
- Funding and Financing Dispute Resolution
- Insolvency Litigation
- International Arbitration
- Regulated Markets
We are also market leaders in dispute resolution in all other areas of the firm's practice, including:
- Competition and Regulation
- Insurance & Reinsurance
- Restructuring & Insolvency
We represent clients in the English Courts, particularly in the Commercial Court, the Chancery Division, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. We also act for clients in the courts of other countries, including Hong Kong, France and Australia and offshore jurisdictions, and before the General Court and the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg, the European Court of Human Rights, the World Trade Organisation Dispute Settlement Body, the International Labour Organisation Administrative Tribunal and the United Nations Dispute Tribunal.
Our experience in Dispute Resolution
We are regularly involved in the largest disputes and work with our clients to achieve the best outcome for their business. We provide below some examples of our work in this area.
- Acting for the operator of an oilfield concession offshore in Qatar in relation to ongoing disputes arising during the execution of its 2005 field development plan involving investment of over US$3bn.
- Acting for the owners of an oilseed crushing plant in Eastern Europe in relation to their multi-million dollar dispute with the company engaged to design the plant.
- Acting for a major hotel group in arbitration proceedings against their insurer in respect of property damage and business interaction losses of around US$30m arising out of the December 2004 Tsunami.
- Advising on a series of disputes with a major grain trading company in LCIA arbitration. The matter related to the sale of assets in relation to a grain terminal in the FSU. The claims exceeded US$200m.
- Acting for joint venture partners in a dispute involving a claim in excess of £100m in respect of the joint project. This involved detailed consideration of issues of corporate responsibility and conflict on the part of the directors in the joint venture company.
- Acting for the PRC before the World Trade Organisation Dispute Settlement Body in defending a complaint that Chinese intellectual property laws breach TRIPS Agreement.
- Acting in a reference to the European Court of Justice from the Austrian courts arising from the grant by Austrian authorities of a licence to demonstrate on an inter-state motorway.
We are working with clients across our international network to help them minimise the impact of COVID-19 on their business and to prepare for what's next. To find out more, visit our dedicated Covid-19 hub.