HFW in the British Virgin Islands
The British Virgin Islands (BVI) is an important market to many of our global clients. It is an internationally respected financial centre and offers one of the most popular offshore holding structures in the world. Litigation remains the most popular mechanism of resolving high-value, complex disputes in the BVI, with the final court of appeal being the Privy Council in London.
Seamless service that follows the sun
We are uniquely positioned among international law firms to provide timely, strategic advice to major users of BVI across all time zones – Greater China, the Middle East, South America, the UK and Europe.
The BVI team of choice for multi-jurisdictional disputes
HFW has been litigating for clients in offshore jurisdictions for more than 20 years, including in the BVI, the Bahamas, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, and the Turks & Caicos Islands.
To support our global client base, our team of specialist BVI lawyers work closely with our offshore litigation teams in London and Hong Kong and across all time zones to advise our clients on complex, corporate and commercial litigation.
We are regularly instructed on high value, commercial litigation and contentious insolvency and are the firm of choice in respect of multi-jurisdictional disputes. We have a proven track record of achieving victories for our clients and results in a timely, cost-efficient manner, at all stages of litigation and throughout the Eastern Caribbean Courts, as well as in the Privy Council.
We act for:
- Liquidators and receivers
- Creditors (including secured creditors, bond-holders and note-holders)
- High net worth individuals
- Trustees and protectors
- Listed and privately held companies
- Financial institutions and SOEs
We also work closely with many leading law firms and accountancy firms to support clients on their complex BVI cases.
Our team’s specialist litigation experience includes:
- Shareholder and joint venture disputes
- Contentious insolvency
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Fraud and asset tracing
- Trust litigation
- Urgent interlocutory relief (including freezing injunctions, disclosure orders and the appointment of receivers)
- Claims against directors
- Claims against auditors
- Enforcement of judgments and arbitration awards in the BVI
Our BVI Corporate & Commercial Services
Our global transactional practice advises clients on inbound and outbound matters across equity and debt capital markets, including corporate structures and company formation, corporate governance, director duties, mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, IPOs, finance and other complex corporate and commercial matters across the BVI, Hong Kong and Greater China.
We act for:
- Private limited companies
- Public companies
- Directors and legal representatives
- Shareholders and partners
- Investors and founders
- Hedge funds and investment managers
- Banks and other financial institutions
- Liquidators and receivers
Our team’s specialist corporate and commercial experience includes:
- Formation and operation of BVI corporate vehicles
- Due capacity and enforceability Opinions
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Advising on director duties, shareholder rights and other aspects of BVI company law
- Joint ventures
- Public listing of companies and initial public offerings involving BVI entities
- Asset finance (and re-financing)
- Secured and structured finance
- Enforcement of security, re-financing and workouts
- Voluntary winding up of BVI companies
- BVI fund structures and distressed funds
- Private equity fund raising
Watch our launch video (English)
Watch our launch video (Simplified Chinese Subtitles)
For more information, download our brochure 'HFW in the BVI' below.
HFW BVI Office Address
4th Floor, Wickhams Cay
PO Box 4012, Road Town
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Office Telephone: +1 (284) 494 6864
Office Fax: +1 (284) 494 6839