Top ranked lawyers for all commodities
We act across the spectrum of the international sale of goods, including soft commodities, oil and gas, coal and steel, and non ferrous and precious metals. We advise and represent clients in their related freight business. Our worldwide clients include multinational energy and chemical companies, coal and metal traders, soft commodity trading houses, trade finance banks, governments and their agencies, brokers, insurers and trade associations. Our focus is on assisting our clients to finance, develop and grow their businesses, to guard against risks, to help them to seek access to new markets, to deal with fast-changing international regulations and to assist them to resolve disputes.
What we do in Commodities
We have many years' experience of dispute resolution in commodity matters, and have been involved in leading cases in the law of commodities. We can advise on the following areas:
- Freight and FFAs
- Soft Commodities
- Mining, Minerals and Bulk Construction Products
- Sanctions and other Regulatory issues
- Oil & Gas
- Trading and Trade Finance
- Start-up commodity trading company service
- Global Investigations and Enforcement
Our experience in Commodities
Our experience extends across the full spectrum of hard and soft commodities. We provide below some examples of our recent work:
- Representing the senior lenders on the proposed US$125 million financing for the THAPPLINE multi-products white-oil pipeline from Sri Racha to Sari Buri in Thailand. Review, drafting and negotiation of Offtake Agreement, common agreement, commercial bank credit agreement, ADB credit agreement, shareholders’ support agreement and other financing agreements working with Thai counsel on complex Thai security issues and security documents.
- Representing Barclays Bank and other senior lenders on the proposed US$500 million financing for the 576 MW Bina coal-fired project in Madhya Pradesh. Review of coal supply agreement, rail transportation agreement and power purchase agreement drafting and negotiation of senior credit agreements.
- Advised on a series of disputes with a major grain trading company in LCIA arbitration. The matter related to the sale of assets in relation to a grain terminal in the FSU. The claims exceeded US$200 million.
- Advised in 4 of the 8 well known defaults by the Iraqi Grain Board in refusing to take delivery of bulk rice cargoes which it had paid for. Led to a series of claims under the sale, bill of lading and charterparty contracts. The claims exceeded US$8 million.
- Advising a major trade finance bank on the foreclosure of a trade finance loan, including seeking injunctive relief in Switzerland, and the enforcement of a personal guarantee.