Mining lawyers experienced in all aspects of transactions and disputes
We have a long association with the international mining sector, and our mining lawyers provide advice and support on the full range of issues our clients face in this sector, including mergers and acquisitions, projects, construction and development of terminal and storage facilities, trade and structured finance, insurance, physical trading, derivatives and sale and purchase arrangements, regulatory and EU issues and transportation, as well as advising on disputes that may arise anywhere in the world. Our clients include producers, traders, financiers and insurers in the business of selling, trading and financing mining and minerals.
What we do in Mining
Our team has extensive experience in the development of 'green field' mining projects, from the acquisition of mining and surface rights, through the construction of mine infrastructure, to the drafting of operating and off-take contracts. Our lawyers have worked on 'green field' mining projects in Australia, Indonesia, South America, Central America and Africa (including Angola, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Egypt, Sierra Leone, DRC). We are also very familiar with the challenges facing investors in developing mining projects in advanced and emerging countries.
We can help with:
- Corporate/Capital Markets
- Trading and Finance
- Dispute Resolution
- International Tax
- Ports & terminals Infrastructure
- Antitrust, Competition and Regulatory
- Shipping and Logistics
Our experience in Mining
Our team has huge experience in the mining sector and its related services. We provide below some examples of our recent work:
- Advising a listed mining group on its sale by tender of a 30% interest in two major Indonesian mines for US$1.3 billion to a major Indian electricity generation company.
- Advising the captive insurers of an international mining company in relation to claims brought by a joint venture insured in respect of severe weather events in Queensland, relating to property damage, increased costs of working and business interruption at nine mine sites, leading to the loss of approximately eight million tonnes of thermal coking coal. The headline claim figure is in the region of US$1.2 billion.
- Advising a London-based consortium on a large scale mining project in Northern Angola.
- Representing a major Canadian gold mining company before the European Commission in Brussels and the EU Courts in a matter concerning the assessment of the sale price of several goldmines in Greece to that company under EU State aid rules.
- Advising a major Chinese metals and mineral trading company on its proposed participation in a bauxite project in West Kalimantan, Indonesia.
- Advised an Indonesian mining company in ICC arbitration in London against a European energy provider in respect of a coal supply agreement. The headline claim figure was in the region of US$150 million.
- Acting for a major Asian mining company in relation to an iron ore project in Mauritania.
- Advising an Australian mining company on its development and operation of a copper/gold mining project in Argentina.
- Advising a global trading house on the acquisition of a strategic stake in an Indonesian nickel mine, together with structured finance and offtake arrangements.
- Advising and assisting a JV of European and Asian coal trading companies on relocating to Singapore.
- Advising on a US$20-30 million dispute arising out of logistics services provided under a commercial contract to a mining project in Zambia.
- Acting for the captive insurer in the settlement of a property damage/business interruption claim resulting from failures at a mine in Peru in 2007/08, and an international subrogation action worth approximately US$500m against the manufacturer of the machine which failed.
- Representing a US trading company in a multi-million dollar arbitration dispute under a long-term supply agreement with a global steel producer.