Commercial legal advice in all finance matters
Our international team advises clients on a variety of investment funds and asset classes. We understand and have experience of dealing with investment structures and regulation across a range of jurisdictions.
What we do in Investment Funds
Our team has a wide variety of experience in advising on the set-up and ongoing activities of both private and public investment funds including:
- Structuring investment vehicles.
- Subscription agreements/joint venture/shareholders' agreements.
- Information memorandums/prospectuses and in particular, marine risk disclosures.
- Profit share/ investment management agreements.
- Advice on risks faced, potential liabilities and wording of necessary insurances.
- Advising funds in connection with financing their acquisitions and projects.
- Advising on the regulation of funds and their managers, advisers, depositaries, and distributors.
- Advising on governance issues and day-to-day fund operational issues.
Our experience in Investment Funds
We have extensive experience of both private and public investment funds. We provide below some examples of our work in this area:
- Assisting with the establishment, including regulatory approvals of two closed Jersey-based shipping funds to invest in shipping related projects, including work on the investment projects themselves and the provision of ship finance (newbuilding projects for about twenty ships).
- Assisting in the development of a new structure for institutional and retail investment in commodities.
- Advising a venture capital shareholder on creditor claims which could be brought against a collapsed Maltese subsidiary of a South African group involving consideration of the interplay of English and Maltese law.
- Assisting with the establishment of a Luxembourg based open-ended fund to invest in shipping related projects, including work on the information memorandum (including risk disclosures), profit share agreements, management agreements and the investment projects themselves.
- Acting for a United States investment fund in establishing a shipping project in South East Asia for the transport of commodities, including advice in relation to the project structure and the construction contracts required for the project.
- Acting for a UAE East-based investment fund in connection with its acquisition of a fleet of offshore support vessels for deployment in Africa, the Middle East and South East Asia, including advising on local flagging requirements and corporate structure.
- Advising a US hedge fund on claims against Lehman Brothers International (Europe) bought from a range of investment funds.
- Acting for a Saudi-based investment advisor in connection with the resolution of a AED 750,000,000 dispute with a GCC based shipyard for the construction of oil rigs.
- Acting for a UAE private equity fund in connection with its acquisition of a fleet of vessels for operation within the gulf to national oil companies.
- Advising on the setting up a joint venture with a UK private equity fund in connection with a Cayman Islands based shipping fund for up to US$500 million.