EU, Competition and Regulatory
Lawyers acting at the forefront of EU, competition and regulatory matters
Our specialist EU, competition and regulatory practice covers a broad spectrum of EU/national antitrust and merger control, State aid, EU litigation and EU and regulatory law matters.
The firm has a strong dedicated team based in London and Brussels and is also able to draw on a group of multilingual lawyers in diverse locations worldwide. We have established excellent professional relationships with the European Commission in Brussels and authorities across Europe.
What we do in EU, Competition and Regulatory
We work with a diverse range of clients, including large and small corporations, governments, public bodies and trade associations. As well as providing a stand-alone service to clients, we also provide support to other departments in the firm which deal on a daily basis with organisations engaged in international commerce and related transactions and disputes.
HFW's leading reputation in international commerce provides us with the platform to serve our clients' needs across a range of jurisdictions and industry sectors. We integrate our competition, State aid and EU law expertise with specific rules applicable in our core industry sectors, enabling us to provide our clients with a commercial and sector-focused approach to their legal requirements.
Members of our team are recognised as leading specialists in their fields, some having spent time at the European Commission, DG Competition, both the State aid and antitrust units. They are familiar with the relevant procedures and have good networking and other professional relationships with the case handlers.
Our lawyers have experience of working in-house in large corporations, particularly in the shipping, commodities, logistics, energy aviation and TMT sectors. We regularly represent companies before the European Commission and the national regulators, and challenge the decisions of those bodies before the European and national courts.
We offer training to our clients to enable them to compete aggressively while complying with competition rules. We have a large, fully trained, rapid response dawn raid team, to assist clients in the event of surprise investigations by the regulatory authorities.
Anthony Woolich is frequently quoted in the press, and was recently interviewed by Money Matters for Reuters TV on the topic of DPA's. You can watch the interview here.
Our experience in EU, Competition and Regulatory
We are regularly consulted on draft EU legislation by Europe and national bodies, and are able to influence competition and EU law decision-making.
We provide below some examples of our recent work:
- Representing a major pharmaceutical company before the European Commission in the perindopril "pay-for-delay" investigation.
- Advising a large energy consumer in the context of a major antitrust and State aid dispute against the energy incumbent operator, in particular on pricing issues.
- Representing a major sports association in arbitration proceedings against allegations of an abuse of a dominant position.
- Advising a media group against allegations of antitrust violations on PAY-TV markets.
- Advising the air transport industry on antitrust and State aid issues arising at various airports.
- Advising major Asian undertakings on EU merger control issues.
- Defending various EU Institutions in EU litigation proceedings before the European Courts.