Travel, Cruise and Leisure
Solutions-driven legal advice in the travel, cruise and leisure sector
Our specialist travel, cruise and leisure lawyers provide multidisciplinary expertise in shipping, aviation, travel law, regulatory compliance, company/commercial matters, dispute resolution, health & safety, crisis management, IT/IP and data protection.
What we do in Travel, Cruise and Leisure
Our knowledge of the industry and legal expertise enables us to bring a fresh perspective to transactions and disputes and provide a solutions-driven approach to the industry's problems, with knowledgeable, cost-effective and pragmatic legal advice across the cruise, travel & leisure sector.
Many of our lawyers have spent time working in the industry, or have been on secondment within the sector, and have an in-depth understanding of the issues facing our clients. We place great emphasis on understanding our clients' business needs and implementing their commercial objectives.
Our unique position of having market leading marine and aviation practices means we can provide an extra dimension to the service we provide, for example, we regularly advise air carriers in relation to their agreements with cruise companies and package travel providers.
We can help with:
- Regulatory compliance
- Corporate, commercial and finance
- Dispute resolution
- Employment, crewing and health & safety
- IT/IP and data protection
- Insurance and reinsurance
- 24hr casualty and emergency response
Our experience in Travel, Cruise and Leisure
Our expertise is based on years of experience in the sector. We provide below some examples of our recent work:
- Advising owners, insurers and salvors on passenger ship casualties worldwide including ROYAL PACIFIC, the EUROPA collision with INCHON GLORY, PRIDE OF AL SALAM, OCEAN MAJESTY and AL SALAM BOCCACCIO.
- Advising on multiple jurisdictional issues arising out of passenger claims on the grounding of COSTA CONCORDIA and on ticketing terms.
- Advising a leading EU based package travel and tour operator in relation to their package holiday portfolio, including defending claims for personal injury.
- Advising a major US based cruise ship owner and operator in relation to amending and drafting cruise and air package contracts for their fleet worldwide, including "stress testing" their contracts for compliance with EU regulations.
- Acting for a US leisure group on the purchase of the MAXIM GORKIY, a cruise ship and in relation to various contentious issues which arose subsequently.
- Advising international cruise operators on the interpretation and extent of P&I terms.
- Acting for the owners of a Sealine fast pleasure boat in relation to various defects in the design and manufacture of the vessel which would have led to a major explosion, loss of life and pollution in the waters of Majorca.
- Advising a major cruise line operator/owner with air charter contract reviews.
- Advising a large not for profit society on the legal and insurance aspects of planning an Antarctic expedition with participation by students and scientists from multiple countries of origin, including advice on vessel chartering arrangements.
- Advising an International hotel chain on their global insurance property and business interruption insurance claims arising from the 2004 tsunami. We successfully recovered monies in respect of claims for damage to their Maldives, Sri Lankan and Phuket properties.
- Advising a global insurance company, in respect of its insured (a major UK travel company) who incurred a liability in the US, when a drunken mini-bus driver employee caused a crash, killing and handicapping some guests. Claims under local and worldwide master liability policies. Issues as to extent of liability under master policy, in particular the responsiveness of the GBP10million DIC/DIL extension of cover under the master policy.
To download our brochure click here.