HFW Providing Legal Advice in Scotland
HFW has considerable experience working with clients in Scotland across a range of sectors. We act for international and domestic clients on a range of transactional and dispute resolution matters. We have particular expertise advising on major Scottish construction projects, including infrastructure, renewables, offshore construction and ports and terminals.
What we do in Scotland
Our expertise is particularly focused on heavy engineering and infrastructure projects, as well as offshore wind and renewables. We advise on a wide range of legal and contractual issues in relation to construction projects in Scotland including procurement, project advice and disputes.
We have Scots qualified lawyers working in Scotland and in our London office.
Our experience in Scotland
- Transport Infrastructure: We act for clients on infrastructure projects in Scotland and throughout the world, including road, rail, tram and bridge projects.
- Offshore Wind: We have advised on offshore wind projects around the world, including 70% of the wind farms off the shores of the UK. We advise on contract negotiation and disputes. We have recently acted on disputes in relation to the world’s largest offshore wind project in the North Sea, and separately, on an innovative offshore windfarm in Scottish waters, built to trial next generation technology.
- Renewables: We act on a range of renewables projects including offshore wind, PV plants, hydro and battery storage technology. We were instructed on one of the most technically complex and high value disputes to come before the Scottish Courts in recent years, involving a hydro-electric plant in the Scottish Highlands.
- Civil and Structural Engineering: We have been instructed on a number of high profile civil and structural engineering projects in Scotland and around the word. Recent instructions in Scotland include cladding issues affecting Scottish social housing developments, a defects claim at a major medical facility in Scotland, tunnelling projects, and negotiating and drafting EPC Contracts and specialist subcontracts for Scottish energy from waste projects.
- Heavy Engineering: Our team has in-depth knowledge and strong experience of high value and technically complex heavy engineering and infrastructure projects around the world. Recent experience in Scotland includes advising on EPC contracts for ports and terminals projects and energy from waste facilities.
- Marine Construction: We recently advised on the EPC Contract for harbour expansion works in Scotland. Other instructions concern delay and defects claims before a dispute adjudication board; advising on termination of a contract at a major international port; and providing legal advice, project support and drafting remedial works contracts following damage to a terminal from a vessel collision.
- Oil and Gas and Decommissioning Projects: We have drafted decommissioning contracts, and have acted on disputes on decommissioning projects. We have recently advised on £15m claims arising from the decommissioning of 10 offshore oil & gas jackets and topside structures at an oil field in Scottish waters.