Cours de Rive 13-15
Office Telephone: +41 (0)22 322 4800
Office Fax: +41 (0)22 322 4888
Direct Dial (Geneva): +41 (0)22 322 4814
Mobile: +41 (0)79 582 6648
Talk to Olivier about
More about Olivier
Olivier leads the Restructuring and Finance team in Geneva. With a particular focus on commodities trading and shipping, he regularly advises trading houses, corporates and financial institutions on their bilateral, club and syndicated financings (transactional trade finance, borrowing base, RCF, guarantee and LC facilities, prepayments, margin loans, project finance, export finance and reserve-based lending), and risk transfers through discounting, risk purchase, sub-participations, securitisations and portfolio sales. Olivier also advises on collateral management and warehouse arrangements, inventory finance and repos. His practice covers transactional "new money" deals as well as debt restructuring, enforcement and fraud (civil and criminal). Olivier also advises clients on shipping transactional matters. Prior to HFW Olivier was at BNP Paribas (Suisse) SA where he held legal and commercial positions.
Olivier's recent experience includes:
- advising a major Swiss bank on recovery of a defaulted loan to an English metals trader including advising on recovery options against the UBO/ CEO personally in the tort of deceit and acquiring office-holder claims against the UBO / CEO from the joint liquidators.
- advising a major European bank on restructuring and security enforcement in connection with a USD 50m trade finance exposure to a large international oil trading house headquartered in UAE - including dealing with Chief Restructuring Officer and Quantuma as the company's restructuring advisers, contingency planning for UAE insolvency, enforcement against assigned debtors, advice on trade credit insurance policies, cargo misdelivery claims (including ship arrests) against shipowners and advice on complex letter of credit arrangements and payment entitlements under UCP 600 and ISP98.
- advising a syndicate of lenders led by MUFG Bank London on a USD 300m limited recourse prepayment facility to Trafigura to finance future deliveries of copper cathodes from the Swiss trading arm of Norilsk Nickel. HFW acted as English and Swiss counsel with support from Asia Legal in Singapore and Integrites in Moscow. The initial USD 250m facility on which Olivier advised won "TXF Large Trader Deal of the Year" 2018.
- advising green coffee trader Sucafina on its sustainability-linked USD 300m syndicated secured borrowing base facility with 11 banks led by BNP Paribas (Suisse) SA and security in 11 jurisdictions across Europe, Asia and America. The initial facility on which Olivier advised in 2017 won market recognition as "TXF Overall Commodities Finance Deal of the Year".
- advising Massoel Shipping SA on eight separate vessel sales (including the provision of escrow and completion services). These sales represented almost 50% of the Swiss maritime fleet.
- advising Sucafina on its USD 110m-USD 170m pre-export financing facility for Brazil green coffee exports, with a club of 4 banks led by Rabobank. The initial facility on which Olivier advised won "TXF Soft Commodities Deal of the Year" in 2018.
- advising a Geneva commodity bank on a USD 50m prepayment facility to the Geneva trading arm of a Russian refinery, supported by a guarantee and security assignment. HFW acted as English and Swiss counsel on the transaction.
- advising a Geneva oil trading major on a strategic USD 3bn crude oil prepayment facility to a NOC and on associated limited recourse / SPV financing and security arrangements with 20 banks led by Societe Generale and ING.
- advising the STF teams at international grain majors on a wide range of legal structures and transactions including transit trades, structured Letters of Credit, receivables purchase and trade credit insurance. Olivier also advises on commodity derivatives transactions including insolvency and regulatory issues arising in the relevant jurisdictions.
Over his 20 year career Olivier has worked in all commodity sectors (metals, softs and energy) and is particularly experienced in emerging markets (Eastern Europe, Russia, Central Asia, Africa and Latin America). He is bilingual in English and French and also works in Spanish, Dutch and Russian. Olivier is qualified in England and Wales.
We are working with clients across our international network to help them minimise the impact of COVID-19 on their business and to prepare for what's next. To find out more, visit our dedicated Covid-19 hub.