65 Crutched Friars
London EC3N 2AE
Office Telephone: +44 (0)20 7264 8000
Office Fax: +44 (0)20 7264 8888
Direct Dial (London): +44 (0)20 7264 8060
Talk to Ben about
More about Ben
Ben is a specialist construction lawyer with over 18 years' experience in the industry. He advises clients on all aspects of international construction and engineering projects, with a particular focus on Southern Europe, the Middle East and East Africa.
He has advised on a wide range of projects, with particular knowledge and experience in international infrastructure, process plant and power projects and the FIDIC forms of contract. He is co-author of FIDIC Contracts: Law and Practice (Informa) one of the leading textbooks on the major FIDIC forms of contract.
Ben has a particular interest and expertise in avoiding and solving complex, high-value problems, claims and disputes in the international construction industry. He regularly represents clients in international arbitrations, litigation, adjudication, dispute boards and mediation.
He is recommended for Construction by Legal 500 UK 2016.
Ben is a Solicitor-Advocate qualified in England and Wales. Before the law, Ben practised as a civil engineer at a leading international consulting engineering company.
Ben's experience includes:
- Advising a leading industrial group in relation to a contract for the construction of a new process plant in a remote location in West Africa.
- Advising an East African project company in relation to contracts for the construction of a mixed-use development involving a major new shopping mall and residential buildings.
- Acting for an international contractor in an ICC arbitration against an East African state in respect of claims and counterclaims arising out of the termination of a design-build road project in East Africa.
- Representing a subsidiary of a global power company in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings against an international contractor concerning a contract to design and construct a 600 MW coal-fired power station in eastern Europe.
- Advising a project company in relation to subcontracts for the construction of the civil works aspects of a new hydro-electric power scheme in East Africa.
- Representing a major Middle Eastern developer in the GCC in a series of DIAC and ad hoc arbitration proceedings against a contractor concerning the construction of residential developments and associated infrastructure.