65 Crutched Friars
London EC3N 2AE
Office Telephone: +44 (0)20 7264 8000
Office Fax: +44 (0)20 7264 8888
Direct Dial (London): +44 (0)20 7264 8471
Talk to Alice about
More about Alice
Alice qualified in September 2009. She advises on all issues arising in relation to dry shipping and commodity trading.
She advises charterers and owners on a wide range of issues arising under time and voyage charterparties and contracts of affreightment, including issues relating to force majeure, deductions from hire, laytime and demurrage, vessel performance and termination. She also advises buyers and sellers under contracts for the sale and purchase of a wide range of commodities from wet cargoes to dry, 'hard' to 'soft', advising on a variety of matters including Incoterms, bills of lading and LOIs.
Alice has significant experience of litigation including High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court hearings, and has advised on numerous freezing and anti-suit injunctions. In addition, she has experience of project managing cross-border litigation, working closely with foreign counsel. Further, Alice has significant experience of mediation and arbitration with disputes arbitrated under a range of arbitral bodies including LMAA, LCIA, ICC, FOSFA, GAFTA, ICA and RSA.
Alice has negotiated a variety of SPAs, MSPAs, Marketing and Lifting Agreements, charterparties, COAs, Intermediary Agreements, Storage Agreements, LOIs, NDAs and intracompany agreements. Alice has completed secondments at Trafigura, ENI Trading & Shipping and Liberty House Group, as well as being part of a team providing remote support to BHP Billiton.
Some examples of the published cases Alice has worked on include:
- NYK Bulkship (Atlantic) NV v Cargill International SA (The Global Santosh)  UKSC 20 (acting for Cargill). The Supreme Court considered a contracting party’s responsibility for the vicarious or delegated performance by a third party of its contractual obligations in the charterparty context. The Supreme Court found in favour of Cargill.
- OMV Supply and Trading AG v Kazmunaygaz Trading AG (formerly Vector Energy AG)  EWCA Civ 75 (acting for OMV). The Court of Appeal considered the extent to which a CIF seller was, under the terms of the relevant contract, liable for duties on the import of biodiesel into Romania. The Court of Appeal found in favour of OMV.
- B v S  EWHC 691 (Comm) (acting for S). The High Court considered whether FOSFA's standard form arbitration clause (a Scott v Avery clause) precluded a party from taking action in the High Court, namely whether a party was in breach of the arbitration clause by obtaining a worldwide freezing injunction. The High Court found in favour of S.
- Marine Trade SA v Pioneer Freight Futures Co Ltd & Another  EWHC 2656 (Comm) (acting for PFF). The Court considered the availability of netting and the obligation to pay under the 1992 ISDA Master Agreement (Multicurrency – Cross Border). The High Court found in favour of Marine Trade.
Alice’s non-contentious work in private practice has included:
- Negotiating a Services Agreement for handling, storing and transporting steel slabs.
- Drafting an Import/Export & Services Agreement for the supply of Power.
- Advising clients on issues arising under REACH.
- Project managing due diligence regarding the import and export of precious metals.
- Project managing and amending a Services & User Agreement for an online provider of original electronic documents.