3rd Annual China Trade & Export Finance Conference
HFW Partner Brian Perrott participated in a panel discussion.
17 October 2013
The discussion focused on the following:
Chinese commodities: Matching growth with demand
- Looking at how the perceived drop in Chinese growth has impacted on the country’s demand for raw commodities: are traders still concerned over the prospect of a ‘hard landing’?
- What impact have changes in the speed of demand had on pricing? How does this vary across different sectors (softs, agri, metals, oil, etc)?
- What measures are traders taking to offset risk in light of concerns over demand? Are production rates being adjusted accordingly?
- Is there sufficient diversification in the funding being made available for commodity traders? If not, what needs to be conveyed to the financial sector to improve provisions?
- What role have government initiatives in industries such as construction had on demand and is this sustainable?
- How has shifting demand and growing domestic production impacted on China’s policy makers with regards to foreign commodity imports and pricing reforms?