Commercial legal advice in all finance matters
Our finance practice covers the whole spectrum, from trade and asset finance, through to project finance. We are well known for our work in the shipping, offshore, yacht and corporate jet sectors, and frequently handle assets relating to the transportation industry. With an international network of offices, we have the capability and expertise to handle all finance-related enquiries.
What we do in Islamic Finance
In addition to advising on a range of private equity transactions and investment funds, the firm has expanded its finance practice into the field of Shariah compliant structures to better meet our clients' needs. The dynamic atmosphere in the Middle East has led to a increasing variety of opportunities for investors and our team understands the fundamentals behind such investment and financing structures and have the capability to create innovative solutions, in our chosen core fields, to meet our client's needs. Global interest in Islamic Finance has grown considerably in recent years, and corporate and finance lawyers across our European and Asian offices have experience in the field.
We have advised on the full range of corporate and regulatory insurance issues faced by banks, insurers, agencies, intermediaries and others using Islamic Finance solutions. This includes product development, impact of regulation, advising on strategic partnerships, joint ventures, company restructurings and funding issues.
Our experience in Islamic Finance
We provide below some examples of our work in Islamic Finance
- Advising on the establishment of a broker specialising in Takaful insurance and reinsurance products.
- Advising a UK clearing bank on an Islamic banking venture (including "deposit" business, impact of FSA rules, etc).
- Advising on a variety of regulatory and other issues arising in Sukuk transactions, including a Sukuk in default.
- Advising a global investment bank in structuring and documenting Murabaha facilities for a commodity index-linked Shari'ah-compliant fund.
- Assisting a major investment bank on a "Bai al arboun" agreements to document arrangements for equity basket and index exposures between a US investment bank and Saudi counterparties.
- Acting for Islamic bank on Sharia compliant mudaraba structure for leading Middle East based operator.